Queen Street Open Art Competition 2019 –
Please read the full guidelines before going to the Submission Form.
The Queen Street Gallery will be holding its first Open Art Competition in February, 2019. The competition shows the major commitment of Queen Street Gallery to the development of artistic talent locally, regionally and nationally.
This guide contains information to help you make a successful submission to the competition. The amount of information below reflects our aim to cover every eventuality and guide you through the process. We recommend that you print out this document and have it ready to refer to during the submission process.
If you are unclear, then please contact us for clarification.
The Queen Street Open Art is an ‘open submission’ (anyone can enter) competition that will be judged by professionals from a broad range of disciplines. Entry can only be via the online submission process on our website. A fee of £10 per art work entered is charged and artwork is submitted as a digital image. It will be reviewed by the judges, who select in the region of 50 – 100 pieces for the exhibition – they also choose the prize winners. Works selected will need to be delivered to Queen Street Art Gallery for exhibition by the dates stated below.
What can you submit?
Only original artwork will be considered (i.e. Not reproduction prints which are made to accurately reproduce an already created original image) but any medium will be considered, including applied arts and digital media. There are limitations on exhibiting certain items in terms of scale, equipment or health and safety. There is a maximum floor space for 3-dimensional work (e.g. Sculpture) of 1m x 1m. For 2-dimensional work (e.g. Paintings) size limits are 1m x 1m. We reserve the right to select but not display works. If you are in any doubt, then please contact us.
Before you enter
Prepare a digital image of your work
Work will be selected via a digital image, therefore you will need to upload a good quality digital photograph of your artwork via our online form. If you are unfamiliar with taking or preparing digital images, then we suggest you find somebody to help you with this. We are unable to do this for you.
Advice on taking a digital photograph
Place the work in an uncluttered space or on a plain wall so that the artwork is clearly visible and defined. Use a digital camera (or phone or equivalent) and take a picture. Make sure that…
- Only the artwork appears in the photograph
- If the item is very large or very small, please put a tape measure in the photograph to give an idea of scale
- It is a clear, focused image
- It is in colour against a plain background
Prepare your image for upload
- Make the application online, from your computer, phone or iPad .
- Save the image as a jpeg file between 3MB and 5MB in size. We suggest you ask for help if you are unsure about how to size the image or upload it.
- Give the image a file name of last name, first name, artwork title.
- Have your image(s) completely ready to use before you continue.
Online submission in three simple steps
Once your image/s are ready, please complete the submission form and pay the appropriate fee (£10 per art work entered).
Terms and Conditions of entry (must be read).
- Enter your information
- Fill in your personal details, and entry information
- You will be able to return to your entry at any time to make amendments until 21 December, 2018.
- Paid-for submissions can be changed but not refunded.
- Upload & submit images
You can upload a maximum of four images per artwork. Before you start make sure you have the following information ready:
- Subtitle or description (max 20 words)
- Medium used (max 20 words)
- Size of work (for film/media give the duration of film or time-based media)
- Selling price (include in your total the 40% gallery commission).
Upload your image and form.
Review your details
Review your entry by checking all the details, and if correct, continue to payment.
Our preferred method of payment is online via PayPal. By clicking ‘pay now’ button you will be redirected to PayPal where you will be able to pay securely using a debit/credit card or your PayPal account.
- See order summary and check amount
- If you have a PayPal account log into your account to pay using your PayPal email and password.
- If you don’t have a PayPal account, follow instructions that enable you to pay with a debit or credit card.
- If you need to discuss alternative payment methods, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are selected for the exhibition you will be notified by email by the middle of January, 2019. For any further information or assistance, email the office on email@example.com or call 01639 631081(10am – 4pm, Wednesday – Saturday)
Dates to remember
- Deadline for entries: 24 December, 2018
- Email to artists selected: by middle of January, 2019
- Photos and bio’s of selected artists: required by end of January, 2019
- Delivery to Queen Street Gallery: 1 – 3 February, 2019
- Artists preview: 11thFebruary 2018 (open to the public from 12thFebruary)
- Exhibition dates: exhibition: 12 February – 2 March, 2019